Friends of Ministry has trained hundreds of church staff members and volunteers to maintain websites.
If you’re about to take responsibility for maintaining your church’s website, relax. Because your site is constructed with WordPress, it’s easy to keep your calendar and home page current. We’ll get you started with an online training session, and we’ll provide a month of free follow-up support to help you find your way around the WordPress Dashboard, where you’ll go to update your website.
Here is what you need to know in advance:
PREPARATION FOR WEBSITE MAINTENANCE TRAINING
- Before training, send us an email with the names, phone numbers and email addresses of everyone who will participate in the training session.
- We also need to know well in advance how each participant will access the audio for the training session, so include this information in your email. Use a headset or the microphone and speakers on your computer, if possible. If that’s not possible, you can listen in via phone; a land line is best. If any of your participants would have to pay long-distance charges for a call, we can provide a toll-free number, but that must be set up at least 24 hours in advance.
- Online training takes, on average, about two hours, although your training time may be shorter or longer, depending on how many extras (calendar, podcasting, videos, forms, etc.) your site contains.
- Plan to be in a quiet place, away from ringing phones, barking dogs, and other noise and interruptions. The audio connection will be open to all during the training so everyone can ask questions and hear the answers.
- At the time training is scheduled to begin, each participant will receive an invitation via email. A link in the email will allow each person to download and install software needed for the session. If you do not find the invitation in your inbox, check your spam folder. Installation is usually a quick and easy process.
- Before the session, read the Website Maintenance Training document, which Friends of Ministry sends to you in advance of the training.
AFTER THE TRAINING
- Friends of Ministry will send your log-in credentials shortly after the training ends.
MAINTAINING THE WEBSITE
- You’ll need a laptop, desktop or tablet that’s no more than three or four years old. (But if your equipment is older but has a lot of processing power and memory, that may work, too.)
- Always use a secure internet connection when you log in to your website’s Dashboard. It’s okay to use your own WiFi connection if it is password-protected. Never a public WiFi connection.
- Keep your log-in credentials in a safe place.
- If you lose your password, you can reset it by using a link that’s always on the log-in screen for the Dashboard.
- Change your password at least monthly.
- Keep anit-virus and malware protection on your equipment up to date so you don’t pass viruses to the website.
- For best results, use Firefox or Chrome when updating your website. Both browsers are free. We do not recommend Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.